Honoring our shared symbol with safe water for all
1. Make March 22, World Water Day, an annual celebration by declaring just one spring week a year "World Water Week." Spring rains and renewal...there's no better time. Donate the money collected just that one week to a sustainable water project.
2. Deliver A Sermon for World Water each spring. Post it on your website, print it in your bulletin. Spread the word.
3. Make sure your representatives in Congress are actively pushing for passage of the Water for the World Act. Click here for details.
4. Calculate YOUR water footprint, then reduce your footprint (and save money, too!) Check out 50 Ways to Conserve Water, Water-Saving Tips and Water Wise tips (which also includes some fun water factoids.)
5. Support your faith’s sustainable WASH development work – publicize it, donate to it, volunteer with it.
6. Here are a few fun family/community activities that raise awareness and funds for a WASH project (and will make your kids laugh every time they flush the toilet):
"Drop in the Bucket": Every time a family member uses water, s/he drops a coin in a bucket. That’s not just a drink of water and a shower -- it’s flushing the toilet, cooking, watering plants, even filling the dog bowl… It's a fun way to raise awareness of just how vital water is in our daily lives; what it would be like without it; and encourages less waste at home. The funds raised that week can be donated to a sustainable WASH project.
"Tap into Tap Water": Family members give up soda and sugary drinks and substitute water for just one week. Families learn just how much they spend on drinks with little nutritional value and lots of calories; they may even feel healthier for having drunk water instead that week! And the money saved that week can be donated to a sustainable WASH project.
"Water Fall For All": Religious schools classes sell paper water droplets for $1/each which are artfully decorated and hung on a wall to create a beautiful water mosaic in your house of worship. It's a creative, community-building activity for all ages.
9. Raise awareness and SAVE MONEY at home!